This nourishing and comforting colorful beet soup is easy to prepare and stunningly elegant, with a creamy cashew cream swirl that takes it over the top!
1. To Prepare the cashew cream: Soak cashews overnight. Drain. Place cashews in a high speed blender with the rest of the ingredients. Blend on the highest setting possible until the mixture is completely smooth and creamy. Add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you reached the consistency of a heavy whipping cream. Pour about 1/2 of the cashew cream into a jar and leave the remainder in the blender (you’ll be adding the soup to the blender to blend with the leftover cream.
2. Pre-heat oven to 400 F.
3. Beets: Scrub clean and wrap with aluminum foil and roast in the oven for 50-60 minutes, until a fork can easily slide into them. Small beets will cooker faster than large ones. Let cool and peel beets. Cut into wedges and set aside.
4. Parsnip & Celery root (they can roast in the same oven as the beets) toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper and roast on a baking sheet for 20 min, toss halfway through. When done set aside until ready to add to soup pot.
5. Leek & Onion, Ginger and Garlic: Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil leave heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the leak and onion, stirring often until they begin to brown and become fragrant, about 10 minutes. Then add the ginger, garlic, a pinch of salt and pepper and stir for a few more minutes.
6. Add the roasted veggies & liquid: Add the roasted beets, parsnip, celery root, coconut milk and veggie stock to soup pot. Let simmer for 15 minutes. Cool soup slightly.
7. Puree soup in a blender until smooth. May have to do in batches depending on size of your blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
8. Gently rewarm soup. Divide between bowl. Swirl in cashew cream. Can garnish each bowl with thyme, parsley, or whateva else your heart desires. Enjoy.
Keywords: beet soup, roasted beet soup, easy soup