I received a dinner party invite in early July and decided to come up with my very own original salad to bring. Please meet said creation: this caramelized fig and prosciutto salad. It was such a hit that I’ve quite literally made it almost every week since, sometimes more than once, for either my friends or clients!
There’s a whole party going on in this salad with flavors and textures and the presentation is stunning with all the colors. There’s the bitterness of the arugula with the sweetness of the caramelized figs, the saltiness of the cheese and richness of prosciutto and hazelnuts. Are ya drooling yet? If you’re dairy free or vegan just omit the prosciutto and dairy…and it still works!
I like to serve this caramelized fig and prosciutto salad on a tray or shallow bowl purely for presentation purposes (it looks so dreamy!). I like to mix the arugula and basil with the dressing in a bowl then place first on the serving dish, followed by the prosciutto which I artistically and strategically place in little arugula pockets, followed by the figs, then scatter the blue cheese, hazelnuts and a bit more basil on top, the drizzle any juices left behind from the caramelized figs on top. It’s a party in a salad y’all!
Lets make waves in the kitchen!
*Please note: I wrote this post in the middle of July but didn’t launch my blog until September which is why I’m talking about being in the middle of summer during fall.
Have ya tried this recipe? I’d love to hear about it and see it too! Please leave a comment below and take a pic and tag it on Instagram with #wavesinthekitchen. You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see more colorfully delicious food and all sorts of awesome adventures!
Caramelized Fig & Prosciutto Salad ~ Arugula, Hazelnuts, Blue Cheese & Basil
- Prep Time: 18 min
- Cook Time: 12 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 1 pint of figs (.5 pounds ~ generally between 6–9 figs)
- 1 bag of arugula (7oz)
- 3 oz. prosciutto
- 2.5 ounces crumbled blue cheese such as Roquefort (if blue cheese is not your thang sub shaved manchego)
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp shallots, minced
- zest & juice of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon lemon juice)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- loose ½ cup of basil leaves, chiffonade
- ¼ cup roasted hazelnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Whisk together olive oil, balsamic, honey, shallots, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add cut figs to olive oil mixture, gently toss, and let marinade for 30min.
- Remove the figs from the bowl (keeping the marinade) and arrange them snugly inside a small baking tray, cut side facing up. Sprinkle the figs with sugar and roast in the oven for 12 min.
- Give the marinade a quick whisk and toss with the arugula, ¾ of the basil, salt and pepper. Toss the arugula with the marinade (it should be enough).
- Arrange the prosciutto and figs on top on the arugula.
- Scatter the blue cheese and hazelnuts on the salad.
- Top with the remaining basil.
- If there are any juices left inside the caramelized fig tray, spoon it all on the very top. Enjoy!