One of my favorite fall and winter salads, made with roasted butternut squash, massaged kale, spiced pecans, chewy cranberries and crunchy pomegranate seeds. It’s sweet,spicy,tart, and provides some much-desired nourishing Holiday flair on the table – healthy style!
1) Preheat oven to 400 F. Toss squash pieces with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until squash is tender and well browned around the edges, 45 min – 1 hr. Remove from oven and let cool. Reduce heat to 350 F (for the pecans).
2) While the squash roasts, whisk together shallot, maple syrup, mustard and vinegar, Whisking constantly, drizzle ¼ cup of olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3) De-stem and chop the kale. Either chop with a knife or tear it with your hands. Place kale in a large bowl. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the dressing and massage until tender, 3-5 min. Really get your hands in there and massage!
4) Combine cinnamon, paprika, nutmeg, cloves, cayenne pepper, and brown sugar in a large bowl. Add the pecans and 1 tablespoon of olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 min. Remove from oven and let cool.
5) Assemble all! Add squash to large bowl with kale, followed by pecans, cranberries, and pomegranate seeds. Add more dressing if desired. Toss very gently with your hands. Enjoy!
Keywords: Salads, Holidays Salads, Squash & Kale Salad