These cumin roasted carrots are caramelized on the outside and tender on the inside for a deliciously complex veggie side dish that's quick and easy to make!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time45 mins
- 1 bunch of carrots
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 clove of garlic OK to have the peel on
- salt and pepper to taste
- squeeze of fresh citrus
- handful fresh herbs for topping, such as parsley, cilantro, tarragon, chives or chervil optional
- flaky sea salt, to taste, optional
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Scrub carrots well. If they are bit carrots cut in half, if they are baby size OK to leave them whole.
In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, cumin, honey, vinegar, salt and pepper
Place carrots on a rimmed baking sheet and pour the cumin mixture of them. Toss well with your hands so that they are evenly coated. Add bay leave and garlic cloves.
Roast until the carrots are soft and beginning to caramelize, 30-45 minutes. Exact time wil depend on size of carrots (thicker carrots will take longer than thinner ones)
Remove from oven, discard aromatics and set aside to cool. Top with a squeeze of fresh citrus and chives, herbs of your choice (I often use parsley or chives) and flaky sea salt (optional).
Tip: I love reserving some carrot tops and arranging the roasted carrots on a black slate on a bed of carrot tops for a vibrantly colorful and dramatic presentation.
- When possible, buy local and organic carrots.
- Be sure to scrub those carrots well since we’re keeping the peel on!
- Save some carrot tops to arrange roasted carrots on for a stunning presentation of the finished dish.
- Roasted carrots will keep in the fridge for 5 days.