Hot spiced red wine that tastes just like the Holidays and is deliciously warming and cozy to drink! Learn how to customize your spiced wine with all different spices, citrus’, sweeteners and liqueurs!
Prep Time8 mins
Cook Time30 mins
- 2 bottles of red wine
- 3 blood oranges
- ½ cup of sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks more for garnish (optional)
- 8 cloves
- 4 star anise
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 2- inch piece of ginger sliced
Using a peeler, remove the peel of 2 blood oranges in strips then juice the blood orange. Slice the other orange into rounds and reserve for garnish.
In a large pot or saucepan, combine the blood orange peel, juice and the rest of the ingredients. Stir to combine over medium heat, until the sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Bring wine to a low boil then immediately reduce the heat to low. Simmer gently, for at least 30 minutes.
Optional to strain the mixture and discard the solids.
Ladle into cups or mugs. Garnish each with a reserved blood orange rounds and cinnamon sticks (optional).
- Don’t use expensive wine for this! All the nuanced taste will be lost. Any cheap bottle will do.
- Go for a bigger, bolder red over a more delicate one.
- Experiment with other spices, liquors, varieties of wines (white or rose), spices and sweeteners to customize your very own spiced wine!
- Mulled wine can be made up to 3 days in advance. Let it cool to room temperature before storing in the fridge.
- To reheat: gently rewarm in large pot on the stovetop over low heat.