Vegan Potato Soup
It’s a pretty pink comforting bowl of vegan potato soup that luxuriously creamy, super quick and easy to make and an absolute delight to look at it! Recipe is from Timothy Pakron of Mississippi Vegan.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
- 6 cups spring water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 cups russet potatoes peeled & chopped
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon onione powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic poweder
- 3 large bay leaves
- 1 small beet raw, peeled and chopped
- 1 large avocado cut into chunks
- 1 bunch fresh dill for garnish
- 1 radish for garnish
- flaky sea salt for garnish
- black pepper to taste
For the soup base combine the water, vinegar, potatoes, cashews, garlic, sea salt, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, and bay leaves into a large pot and bring to a boil. Once this has come to a boil and the potatoes are tender, remove from heat. Let cool for about 20 minutes.
Once cooled, remove the bay leaves and add the mixture to a high-speed blender. Then add in one piece of raw beet. Blend until smooth. Continue this step, adding more beet, until desired color is reached.
At this point, you are ready to serve. Or return it to the stovetop until needed. Making this the perfect make ahead of time soup. Cover and simmer on low heat.
Garnish with 2 to 3 slices of watermelon radish, ripe avocado chunks, a few sprigs of chopped dill, a sprinkling of Maldon salt, and freshly cracked black pepper.
- When possible, buy organic produce.
- Don’t over blend the soup! This avoids ending up with a very gluey texture.
- Add beet pieces into the blender one at a time to taste and until you get your desired pink hue.
- Soup will keep in the fridge up to 5 days.
- Soup garnishes are versatile: play with garnishing with any produce and herbs you'd like are no garnishes at all.