Purple Sweet Potato Cheesecake
A pecan-graham cracker crust is filled with luxuriously silky, cinnamon spiced sweet potato cheesecake for a fun, colorfully delicious holiday twist on this classis dessert!
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time2 hrs 30 mins
Graham Cracker Pecan Crust
- 10 graham crackers
- ½ cup pecans
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Purple Sweet Potato Filling
- 1 pound 3 ounces purple sweet potatoes
- 16 ounces of mascarpone
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons of nuts for garnish such as pistachios, pecans, hazelnuts or walnuts.
- fresh berries or pomegranate arils
Preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Prick sweet pots with a fork and wrap in aluminum foil. Transfer pouches to a baking sheet and roast until a knife inserted into the potatoes meet no resistance, about 1-1 ½ hours. Remove potatoes from oven and set-aside until cool enough to handle. Remove the skin and chop the sweet potato into roughly 1-inch cubes and set aside. Lower oven to 350 F degrees.
For the crust, place the graham crackers in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until small crumbs are beginning to form. Add the pecans, salt and sugar, spices, and melted butter and pulse until incorporated.
Press the graham cracker almond mixture into the bottom and sides of the spring form pan. Chill the crust in the fridge for 15 minutes, and then bake for 10. Allow the crust to cool completely.
In the bowl of a food processor or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, combine the mascarpone, cream cheese, vanilla extract, sugar, spices and a pinch of salt. Run the processor, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, then running again, adding slowly adding the eggs and running the until all ingredients are mixed together. Add flesh to bowl and continue and continue beating with whisk attachment until all is combined.
Pour the sweet potato cheesecake mixture over the cooled crust. Bake at 350 for 1 hr. and 5-15min. Chill for at least 3 hours or overnight to set. (Cheesecake can be stored, chilled, for up to 3 days).
Garnish with nuts, berries, edible flowers or other toppings of your choice.
- If you really need to save more time, buying a pre-made crust is OK
- Sweet potato can be roasted and chopped up to 3 days in advance and kept in the fridge.
- Make sure your cream cheese, mascarpone and eggs have time to come to room temp before using (at least 30 minutes out of the fridge).
- Let the cheesecake cool completely for clean slicing.
- Cheesecake needs at least 4 hours and up to overnight in the fridge to set.