Roasting full heads of garlic in olive oil results in meltingly tender and caramelized cloves with a rich, sweet and concentrated garlic flavor! And the infused garlic olive is just as equally valuable!
- 8 heads of garlic
- 12 sprigs or thyme and/or oregano other herbs, spices and bay leaves can be added
- 2 cups of olive oil use more as necessary to cover garlic heads
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Using your fingers, peel off the loose, papery outer layers around the head of garlic. Trim the tops of the garlic heads with a knife to expose the cloves (about the top 1/3-1/4 off of the head of garlic).
Place garlic, with exposed cloves, cut side up, in a baking dish or pot. Add herbs and olive oil to just cover the garlic. Depending on the size of the dish or pot, you may need to add more olive oil to cover the heads of garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover with foil and transfer baking dish or pot to the oven.
Bake until heads of garlic are soft, fragrant and lightly browned; 1hr – 1hr 15min.
Let cool completely and transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate up to 2 weeks. Oil can be strained after a day or two and refrigerated separately.
- When possible buy local and organic garlic.
- DO NOT toss out the resulting garlic infused olive oil! Rather, guard it with your life and pour it over everything!
- Don’t forget to refrigerate the garlic confit! It cannot be stored at room temperature. And let cool before refrigerating.
- Feel free to play/experiment with cooking time, from a lighter to darker caramelized garlic result.