The baked feta dish immediately takes me back to my time living in Israel. Bursting with bright and bold Mediterranean flavors that fill your house with the dreamiest of smells. And its sooo easy! Place a big chunk or two of feta on a baking dish, top with goodies, throw it in the oven and call it a day! No fancy cooking skills required and lots of fancy flavors to be enjoyed. And if you’re dairy free just skip the feta! The dish really works wonderfully even without it as the flavors are simply that damn good.
At a dinner party last night someone asked me what was the most delicious dish I’ve eaten all week and my answer was the flavored oil that comes out of this oven baked feta recipe. For real. And I’ve eaten lots and lots of delicious food this week. I left the measurements slightly loose as it’s a super versatile dish so make as much as you want to have and get playful with it as you really cant go wrong. I’m sharing multiple pictures of this baked feta recipe to give ya all sorts of presentation ideas.
I love sharing this simple to prepare baked feta and tomato dish with friends all summer long, when cherry tomatoes are in peak season, celebrating the abundance of their harvest.
My typical process goes like this: arrange blocks of feta on baking dish, scatter an array of olives all around, top with cherry tomatoes, then with lemon peel, sliced garlic and fresh herbs, which I enjoy doing so I in an artsy fashion (I love when my inner artist comes out in the kitchen!), drizzle the lemon juice and olive oil mixture on top, salt, pepper and viola. The oven does the rest. And I taken pics of all these steps along the way to make the instructions that much easier and pleasurable for ya.
Lets make waves in the kitchen!
Have ya tried this recipe? I’d love to hear about it and see it too! Please leave a comment below and take a pic and tag it on Instagram with #wavesinthekitchen. You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see more colorfully delicious food and all sorts of awesome adventures!
Baked Feta with Cherry Tomatoes, Olives & Fresh Herbs
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6-8
- 10.5oz Greek feta
- 2-3 cups cherry tomatoes (stemmed or de-stemmed – completely optional)
- ½ -1 cup olives (I prefer using a mix but a single kind works as well)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (sliced)
- 2-3 few sprigs of basil
- 2-3 sprigs of oregano
- juice & peel of 1 lemon
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp chili flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place feta blocks in a baking dish.
- Pile the olives and cherry tomatoes on top of feta bocks. If it doesn’t all fit you can place some tomatoes on top of olives or other tomatoes or vie versa. Don’t be afraid to double layer.
- Place lemon peel, garlic slices, and herbs (basil & oregano) on top of feta and olive & tomato mixture.
- Whisk olive oil and lemon juice together and poor all over baking dish.
- Sprinkle chili flakes, salt and pepper all over baking dish mixture.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the cheese has softened and the tomatoes are roasted.
- Serve with bread that can soak up the olive oil mixture, as it will come out bursting with flavor you’ll want to eat it with a spoon. Enjoy!
I like to keep the stems on the cherry tomatoes for presentation purposes and also as an easy way for guests to grab these beauties with their fingers but you do what works for you.